Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Weekend

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Well, all the girls did very well in the Chick Fil’A finals. They were certainly able to apply something they have heard me say many times, be ready for the unpredictable.

It turned out that the sound system had only two functions: on or off. So there was no setting levels, no gain control, no patching instruments, nothing. Basically, there were two mics. One was used for the singer and the other for the instrument if needed. Everybody adapted as needed and did extremely well. I was very proud of all!

Thought of the day:

“When you undervalue who you are, the world will undervalue what you do and vice versa."
(Suze Orman, Personal Finance Expert and Best-Selling Author)

How true! And many times, we are our worst enemy. Personally, I think neither overvalue or undervalue. The just measure, which is what nature is always trying to find. And that is an art.


Sunday, February 21, 2010

Had a very nice rehearsal today. We’re getting some nice sounds and did some work on the solo pieces. Recorded Matt in the evening and now need to work on some editing.

Thought of the day:

“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.”
(Helen Keller, Activist for the Deaf and Blind and Winner of the Presidential Medal of Freedom)

I have tried to imagine, many times before, how it would have been to be a Helen Keller. For the life of me, I must admit my imagination is not able to go there.

When I was kid, some times I would walk around the house blind folded trying to figure out what it would be to move around being blind. Needless to say, I would start to bump around everything even though I knew where everything was. Little by little, I would, though, start to be able to move around somewhat, without running into every single piece of furniture.

I try to add to that the fact of total, absolute, involuntary silence. First, of course, I think of a world without music. All I can imagine is a deep bottomless hole, where one is alone, unable to communicate…

Then I think of the strength of the human spirit and the amazing things it is able to accomplish. We might not be able to see a light with our eyes, or hear a guiding sound with our ears, but we can figure out where the sun shines by feeling its warmth even though we might have never seen it…

And, if we have the courage to reach out, chances are someone will reach back…

1 comment:

  1. I <3 your quote of the day.

    Suzie (sp?) Orman has been as influential in my life as Dr. Laura [although, I'm not so sure I should be admitting that!].

    I remember seeing Suzie on Oprah once when I was younger, and hearing her signature "stupid, stupid stupid" remark.

    Sometimes I still hear it in my head when I'm about to make a stupid financial decision.

    ReplyDelete