Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Keep It Simple


To view the blog in the published website
or any pictures or attachments you might not be able to see,
please follow this link:
http://mattandpia.blogspot.com/



Monday, January 18, 2010


I woke up with a light migraine today. I think I might be grinding my teeth at night again and I need to start using my mouth guard for a while.

I thought much about the quote of Saturday, January 16, which, as it works out, ties into the one from today.”

“I believe that we are here on the planet Earth to live, grow up,
and do what we can to make this world a better place for all people to enjoy freedom.”
(Rosa Parks, Civil Rights Leader)

As you can see, this ties directly to doing what is needed to get the world we want. And I don’t think it has to be a grand act. It can be little simple things we take the time to do in our busy schedules. And, in doing them, we also teach our children.


For some reason, I have been thinking a lot about the environment and the kind of planet the next generations will inherit. We are starting to feel some of the consequences and nature is starting to protest.


These thoughts have been in my mind for a while and I have started to act more responsibly in this respect. Of course, we recycle, or rather the garbage company does. I have also started reusing zip lock bags as much as I can, including my freezer bags. When I go to the market, I still get plastic bags, but I used them to cover the garbage cans in the bathrooms and reuse all other paper and plastic bags that we bring in as much as possible.


I have also discovered those green bags which I must say preserve produce for, at least, double the time it usually lasts. I LOVE THEM! If you think of it, this not only saves you money as very little produce ends up going bad, if any, but relieves the stress of having to produce more to supply a higher demand. In addition, it saves gas as the trips to the store are less.


When we go out or at night, we make sure all lights are turned off except one or two that allow us to see. Doing this simple thing – BTW, I was raised in Peru where electricity is very expensive – we have been able to reduce the electrical bill for about 60%! If you live in this area, you know that the electrical bill can almost be a mini-mortgage.


I also make a point of cutting to little pieces the plastic ties that hold soda cans together. It is absolutely horrible to see how, when left in one piece, they can torture sea life to death!


So I realized that, without going anywhere and doing nothing really special I can contribute to change and, at the same time, save a nice chunk of change!


Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I was trying to connect my Treo to my computer at home. Got ActiveSync downloaded and started running the sync function. Guess what! After spending four months cleaning my contacts in Outlook, they got doubled, duplicating the info from the pda into Outlook. We’re talking 1,500 contacts up to 3,000. Uuhhhh! So, I will have to start my contact clean up from 0!

Grace sent more info re dresses; some more places in the area and designers. So, I will be looking into that.

Thought of the day:

“Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can.”
(Elsa Maxwell, Columnist, Songwriter, and Professional Hostess)

Having a sense of humor about ourselves is a healthy thing, I believe. Many times we take ourselves too seriously. I know I do. Learning to be more relaxed is, most certainly, something I can use and I have been working at doing…or, better, not working at, just being…



Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Didn’t sleep well last night. During the day, I worked on setting up the network in the house and on networking iTunes. In the afternoon, I took Sapphie to meet Max. She will be staying with Lito and Tere during the weekend ‘cause we are going to Hammond to meet the babies. Max is Micheal’s (their son’s great dame.) Man is he a cutie! They did OK, though Sapphie was being a bit of a little spoiled bratt…You can tell she is an only child…

Thought of the day:

“I would be the most content
if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.”
(Anna Quindlen, Author and Pulitzer Prize-Winning columnist)

I guess there is something to be said about simplicity. But, thinking more about it, this might be more about appreciating the simple things in life, rather than simplicity itself.


In this time of information overload, so much passes us by. Stopping once in a while to smell the roses can be very nurturing, healing, and one of those simple memorable pleasures of life.

Good reminder for the wedding…Keep it simple…

No comments:

Post a Comment