Saturday, February 13, 2010

Snow, Snow, Snow & EUREKA, I AM CAUGHT UP!!!

To view the blog in the published website
or any pictures or attachments you might not be able to see, as well as to post comments
please follow this link:
 
 
Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow day today! Started early afternoon and everything is already covered in white. For those who do not know, as they said in the news yesterday, “snow in Georgia is as frequent as, well, snow in Georgia.” And this is the second time this year. Love it!

Practiced and hour of piano and then worked on my rep for about an hour and a half, particularly on the second section of Rusalka’s Song to the Moon.

Then we started watching the Olympics. OK, don’t kill me. But, as good as the special effects were, Matt and I found it kinda bland… Everything took too long. Much great display but not much dramatic content or effective flow. The whole thing just dragged like a turtle with a broken leg, if you know what I mean.

I can hear myself when arguing with Matt during show season. The flow from one piece to the other is key. And the timing is crucial. If things don’t happen with a particular rhythm (and I don’t mean the music) the dramatic impact goes out the window.

And then there is the overall dramatic concept. How do you start, where do you want to go to, how are you going to get there and is your closing strong. Did I mention “flow” already???

The other thing is your rep. You can have an amazing performance but if the piece is kinda OK, well…It needs to give me goosebumps. That’s my thermometer.
Anyway, Artistic Director’s eye aside, the effects were incredible. I can imagine that Sarah is checking some ideas (some of which came from China, lets be truthful) for the European arm of the Symphony Tour, if it ever happens. Maybe she can fine tune the holographic projections and take them a step further. The Canadians certainly did to say the least!

And I have to say, K D Lang was awesome. I prefer a little different rendering of that song, but she sounded great! Her voice was just impeccable!

Now, may I say, this is just my opinion. How I see it. And I can certainly agree that I can disagree with a different perspective.

So, in the middle of this, a blackout. Bummer! Being that this is not uncommon in this area, we lit all our house candles. And if you’ve been here, you know we have plenty; as I said, not only for wonderful scenting purposes. (Have you tried Circle E candles, Crème Brulee? Makes your house smell like sweet heaven! Thanks Cathy!) Or as decorative accessories, but, as you see (or not,) for very practical ones.

I called Lisa to see if they had power and they did. Thanks for the overnight invite Lis! Too cold and dark to go anywhere…So we cuddled up and tried to stay warm until the lights finally came back on about and hour or a bit more later.

Thought of the day:


“Whatever you want in life, other people are going to want it too.
Believe in yourself enough to accept the idea that you have an equal right to it.”
(Diane Sawyer, Journalist)

Well, talk about the Olympics…Don’t think I really need to get into it, do I?


Wedding thoughts…I guess different people or points of view are going to want to rule this one. More thoughts to process…


Saturday, February 13, 2010

DID I MENTION I AM CAUGHT UP WITH THE BLOG!!!!YES, TODAY IS SATURDAY, FEB 13 AND I AM WRITING ABOUT SATURDAY, FEB 13!!!!

The Chick Fil’A finals was postponed to next week. Responsible decision as the roads were still pretty icy and are supposed to get icier tonight.

So Matt and I went for a snow walk. Here are the pics:

Snow Day Pics



Thought of the day:


“Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel
that turns the gears that spin the belt in the engine of belief
that keeps you and your desk in midair.”
(Annie Dillard, Pulitzer Prize-winning Writer and Poet)

So, I guess, I must keep my castle in the air floating. Which sometimes can be difficult because of the bumpy clouds floating around. Maybe what I need to do is figure out how to melt them away….

No comments:

Post a Comment