Monday, February 1, 2010

Listening, Doing and Dresses


To view the blog in the published website
or any pictures or attachments you might not be able to see,
please follow this link:



Friday, January 15, 2010

Woke up with a headache today, but stopped it before it turned into a migraine. I think I have a system pinned down! And, I must say, these have decreased considerably since I am not at Panasonic. My exercise and diet got a little out of wack during the Holidays, but I am getting back on track again. Need to drop carbs and sugars completely and get back on my routine of 3 workouts a week. That will have to wait a little until my ankle is back to normal, though.

Matt and I went back to Mucklow’s to talk to Mr. Mucklow about the rings. He said he would have more bands in on January. I must say, he is such a nice guy; certainly a person that loves his life, and his wife, and his work. There is something very warm about him and, because he really enjoys his work, he’ll take the time and energy to create something special. Matt and I feel very comfortable with him and are confident that he will create what we are looking for and for a fair price, so we have agreed to have him do the rings.

We spent a good 45 minutes to an hour there, looking at different possibilities for my band and we narrowed it down to two. We are going to think a little during the weekend about the design.

We will also return to see more bands for Matt as we didn’t find anything we really liked and Mr. Mucklow’s has received some more that are still not on display.

So that’s it for today, I would say a big step forward and it was an incredible romantic afternoon…

Thought of the day:

“Coincidences are God’s way of remaining anonymous.”
(Doris Lessing, Noble Prize-Winning Author)

Many times in life we get so stuck in the every day things that need to be done or in thoughts about that which worries us, that we forget to look beyond the evident. I have always wondered how many Devine messages we miss because we are not paying attention. They are out there, all we need is to pay attention.



It’s like the chain of little events that brought Matt and me together. And, hadn’t I listened to Cindy when she told me to call after we found his business card on my wind shield, who knows…

So, thank you for the reminder. And I promise to keep attentive my mind and heart so I don’t miss the messages…


Saturday, January 16, 2010

Gaby left me a voicemail asking if I could move the appointment at David’s Bridal to an earlier time so she can go. I called Grace and checked with her and then called the store and moved it to noon.

The thought in my calendar for the day is:

“If you don’t like the way the world is, you change it.
You have an obligation to change it. You just do it one step at a time.
(Marian Wright Edelman, Lawyer, Educator, and Activist)

I must say, I have been pretty much of this mind set my whole life. I have always thought, “Why do people complaint about things and do nothing to change them?” I think it is easier to wine about everything that is wrong rather than take the time to make things better. It also takes us away from our comfort level, and we know we are certainly used to that!


The sad thing with this is that, if we don’t risk change, we will never know what possibilities we missed. Many times I think of the many things that could have kept Matt and I apart, and staying in our comfortable zones would certainly have been one of them. Our paths would probably have not crossed if that had been the case.



Sunday, January 17, 2010

Well, first round of wedding dresses! One thing is for sure, I don’t like shopping, I don’t like shopping for clothes, and I certainly don’t like trying on stuff that is white…

Anyway, Grace, Gaby and I met at my place and took off to David’s Bridal. When we got there, there was a million people at the store because of the sale they are having which ends tomorrow.

First, we looked for some dresses for Gaby. We pretty much pinned that one down fast. Gaby tried a couple of dresses on. Everything looked so nice on her! The one we liked was a full length “A” line and a little drape towards the side on the hip, in a beautiful wine color.

Then we moved to me. We started. One after the other, and the other, and the other…I tried on some puffy ones…don’t like them. Then we moved to some A lines. Uhh…not bad, but not it. We moved to some mermaid dresses and finally found two that kinda were there.

Gaby had left by 2:30 since she had to get back home. Grace and I kept going till about 5:00 pm. Drowned and in overdrive, we decided to go get a bite a Carrabas, which is right across the street.

We had a nice early dinner of antipasto, then tea, coffee and dessert. We got into one of our conversations where we discuss the world, its issues, life and all the things that we have shared over two decades of friendship. After fixing the world’s problems, we moved back to the wedding.

We glanced through a tux magazine and made a couple of selections for Matt ;-). Then we looked at the pics we had taken while trying out dresses. We both agreed that we need to go and look at more models.

On our way back home we went to look for a store we saw in one of the magazines since it is located in Peachtree City. It was closed but I will be calling to make and appointment as we liked what we saw in the windows.

This is going to take time and patience…

Today’s thought of the day:

“A lot of people are afraid to say what they want.
That’s why they don’t get what they want.”
(Madonna, Guinnes World Records’
most successful female recording artist of all time)

This is true at so many levels…Being a person quite shy in nature and having been brought up in a very formal and conservative environment, I had quite a difficult time learning to speak up and asking for my needs to be met. It took my moving to New York on my own to learn to stand up for myself and it was not an easy road.


I think this is a key factor for relationships not only to endure, but to grow and thrive. So many people bottle in their feelings and needs for so long, they end up resenting the other party because their needs are not met. And so many times the other individual is totally clueless to that fact. Magic thinking can be a very unhealthy and damaging thing in life and it serves no one well.


It does not mean that everything we ask for is miraculously going to be provided, it doesn’t even mean it is what we really want or need. But expressing ourselves certainly opens a dialogue and prevents those bottled up feelings from festering inside. (Of course, you also need that the other party be willing to listen.)


Probably, most importantly, prevents magic thinking from turning into an ever growing assuming monster that resents the other person because we think they don’t care…And, most of the time, we are so of base…

No comments:

Post a Comment